Tuesday, April 5, 2011

High Seas

I know I don't often post other people's work. I feel like there are a ton of blogs that already do that and we probably already read the same ones. But, I think I could make an exception for someone's work that really made a difference to me for whatever reason.


























Cartoon Monster creates kinetic wood sculptures that involve boats and the ocean. Some pieces are really tiny and some are huge. I can't really explain to you how these sculptures moved me. I saw a video of one of them in action and I could not help but get a little teary-eyed. Maybe wooden toys remind me of being at home with my family, or maybe it's the lighting in the photos, or maybe (now I'm probably going to read too much into it) I feel like the boat - just tiny and sometimes really alone but still moving quietly along on the big ocean. There's something about how the little fragile boat just keeps sailing.

Either way, I love these. Especially this one. It's almost like the fantastic things a child can dream - sailing your boat through the stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment